Monday, January 23, 2012

Sugar Queen Part 3

It's time to link up with Ms. Mia Maree for the question/answer portion of chapters 8-10 in Sugar Queen.
  • The end of chapter 7 and the beginning of chapter 8, Della Lee told Josey that she was her sister. What was your initial reaction to this news? Did you see this coming? I did not see this coming. When I read it, I was angry. How can this stranger just come into your life and break the news so nonchalantly? (The fact that Josey let her stay is still a mystery to me.)
  • What do you make of the Margaret/Rawley situation? I can see this happening a lot in those times. In the south, it was all about status (like much of the world), and Rawley wasn't in the same social scene as Margaret. I, however, wouldn't have been as forgiving as Rawley had been.
  • Why do you suppose Jake is keeping the woman he slept with a mystery? Who do you think it is? My first thought was that it was Josey...but then that wouldn't make sense because the book never mentioned it, and he had no reason to hide it from her since she hadn't started hanging out with Josey yet. I thought that it would definitely be someone that they both knew.                                                                                                          
  • Josey lives in a world of rules, from a neighborhood that bans snowmen to a mother who bans a snug red sweater. What is the purpose of these rules? What stifling rules in your life—at work, with your family, or in your community—do you sometimes dream of breaking? The purpose of the rules is to keep a level of power over the "regular people" and to show that they are  not on the same level when it comes to the way you act. One rule that bothered me was to hide tattoos and no peircings as a teacher. I can see where it may not be professional, but having a tattoo on my ankle did not change how I taught. The year I didn't teach, I got my nose pierced. As soon as I had an interview, I took it out so it wouldn't "look bad." Unfortunately, it grew up in 2 days and I didn't get the job. Again, once I decided not to go back to teaching, I got a tattoo on my wrist. Little things like that are annoying. THose things don't have to be trashy.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment